Tuesday, March 3, 2009

You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family

This, I believe, is an adage that makes no sense.

It is easy to get ones mind around the notion that we can decide which of our acquaintances we hang out with, but the idea that you are stuck with family members no matter what, simply defies logic. Of course, its corollary, 'blood is thicker than water' carries the same connotation, but I have to tell you that I personally have my Brita set to h2o rather than plasma.

Back to the premise: One has to put up with whatever whatever simply because of genomic ties.

Why?

Is it because in a pinch, blood will out? Your family has to have your back...no matter what? They have to defend you against the clan around the corner who wants to have you for lunch?
Is it simply uber survival; protecting the genes?

Well, I'm dying, we all are, and there is just not that much time on the clock to waste with 'friends' or 'family' who do not, more often than not, increase the positive energy in my little world, as well as the world in general. We're weighed down and sinking because of the negative vibes, external control, and myth of inadequacy fallout that we sadly witness where ever we turn our gaze.

I don't have to add to that. I didn't choose to come into the world and I'm pretty sure I won't choose to go quietly into that good night, but in between, I think I need to do everything I can to live ethically in the moment, attempting to satisfy my needs while acknowledging that others have their own needs.

I overheard a dude noting that 'life was too short to smoke garbage weed, man', and while I may choose to spend my time a little differently, I knew in the moment that he was onto something.

1.) Life is too short to attempt to relive, rewrite, rehash the past, if it can't be changed or made right.
2.) Life is too short to be a victim rather than a survivor.
3.) Life is too short to spend with those who wish to put most of their energy into #1 or #2
4.) Life is too short to not search for the love, light and linkages that will help us realize our dreams and potential.

So, I believe, I'll choose both my friends and my family, because I don't have time to whiz away.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I brought all of this up - I apologize...

    And I agree with everything you've written here... life is too short not to move forward with joy...

    And I love that you wrote, "I overheard a dude"... :)

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete