Thursday, January 22, 2009

Focus

I believe that what is 'distracting' is focusing on something that will not produce some benefit for the individual

Most people diagnosed with ADD that I have listened to, do not have a deficit of attention. When surveyed, they are paying attention to something, just not what the structured environment rewards one for.

When I feel I'm in the zone, I could say that I am distracted from the world going by because I'm not aware of place or time or people around, only the task at hand. Only thing is that I am rewarded for that distraction.

Find that you have been distracted from the world around you by the observation process on the young person you are attempting to help, and you earn a reputation for being a good clinician.

Be distracted from a performance by self-doubt, and thoughts of the Myth narrative, and you are going to stumble and perhaps tank.

Just as I believe that there is eu-stress and dis-stress, good and bad stress, in terms of perception if not physiology, I believe that there, then must be eu-focus and dis-focus. The former producing gain and satisfaction, while the other is counterproductive and not a little self-destructive.

If all behavior is designed consciously or unconsciously to produce a gain, there is benefit that accrues for choosing dis-focus rather than eu-focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment