Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I believe that the human animal is capable of so much more production and satisfaction than it currently outputs. I believe that each of us could do our jobs better, love more, laugh louder, and in general, squeeze all the juice out of life, and I don't think it would take a a lot to achieve this.

All we need to do is stop telling our Self that we are not enough. Easily written. Harder to accomplish, evidently.

Look around. How many of us are energized, anticipating tomorrow and the challenges before us?

The narrative has immense power. The way the human psyche works is simple, in a way. Reinforce a concept repeatedly and it becomes reality. The Myth of Inadequacy, being linked to survival, begins to develop at the point that the child realizes that it cannot take care of itself without a fair amount of help.

The thing is that we tell ourselves the story so often that it grows in strength, and we continue to recount the myth, even when we can take care of ourselves pretty well.

If we consciously, intentional begin to challenge the myth with the reality of our ability, we can devote our focus to whatever the task at hand might be., and I believe we would work, play love, be better simply by not being distracted by the untruth that we are not enough.

7 comments:

  1. We are so much more than we allow ourselves to be... see how powerful we are? We can even minimize our own spirits so that they fit in teensy tiny boxes...

    Can we, as a community, support each other as we push back at our own boundaries? Can we hold space as each of us challenges the belief that we are not enough - even when our behaviors seem erratic as we seek to break the chains that keep us small?

    Are these the questions only an E would ask? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point.

    Perversely, the degree to which we creatively and consistently sabotage and diminish our Self, is proof of the power that can be routed to produce an extraordinary life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool... and very brave. It's one thing to walk around with these thoughts brewing in your own head... another all together to put them out in the world. In typical INTP fashion, I need some time to process and think about what you and those adding comments are writing. But I will try to be brave too and share my own responses so that I can be a part of this virtual family dinner and grow will all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny, but one of the best ways for me to do my best, be my best, and feel my best is to do more. Not necessarily more work on the same things, but more things overall. The less I do, the more poorly I do it. To self-actualize, I think I'm going to have to be pretty scheduled.

    What's that all about?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps less time to ponder/doubt? Those thoughts create a distraction from the task at hand, and, in terms of performance, nothing good ever happens when we lose focus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Less time to ponder/doubt/ANALYZE???!!! It's definitely my own downfall...

    "Analysis kills spontaneity. The grain once ground into flour springs and germinates no more."
    ~ Henri Frederic Amiel

    oops... is that my F showing??

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't read these additional comments til just now. I DEFINITELY feel like I am my best self when I have too much to do! It's an interesting reality... especially as it seems to be the case with many of us. So it seems the dilema is... when do you take on the world (in an effort to be your best self and reach your highest potential) and when do you sit back and relax? Cause it seems like that's important too. Or is it?

    ReplyDelete